Are you ready for X1X and prepared to download extra 50 GB on every game????

Discus and support Are you ready for X1X and prepared to download extra 50 GB on every game???? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; What is the point of buying an Xbox One X if you already own an Xbox One and have no intention of downloading the enhanced content? All versions of... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Zen Like Calm, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Are you ready for X1X and prepared to download extra 50 GB on every game????

What is the point of buying an Xbox One X if you already own an Xbox One and have no intention of downloading the enhanced content?

All versions of the Xbox One will play the same games, so just stick with the console you have until you have the capability or desire for those 4K enhancements grabs you. By that point the One X would have likely seen a price drop, so you'll benefit financially
    in the long run too.

:)

Zen Like Calm, Oct 27, 2017
  2. Looking for help on the Xbox One

If having really good internet, and flatrate in that no limit on amount of data - I might consider X1X still having 1080p monitor/tv.

What you can expect is that all games have more things to install/download. Some games buying on BD disk even have patch sizes 50-100& of game size.

Forza 7 is rumoured to be 100 GB - so think about that for a minute.

Many games now reduce resolution on X1 to 900p to get decent framrate - and you can expect to fluently run 1080p at even better framerates on X1X.

And more pretty visuals aspects even on 1080p can be expected on X1X.

All progress also has a penalty it seems.

BookishFlunky90, Oct 27, 2017
  3. COUNTDOWN TO XBOX ONE X DISCUSSION

Yes, Phil Spencer has always been careful not to state that, in every interview on YT I saw - just same framerate as X1 but in 4k for X1X.

Seems to more realistic goal.

Anyway, congrats to all X1X owners - hope you are very pleased with purchase.

And hope for big success over all for X1X and Xbox brand in itself.

BookishFlunky90, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest

Exactly.And the very reason I'm not getting a xbox one x yet.

In fact i'll pick up a xbox one s as the prices are already dropping & once the X comes out I bet the prices will drop even more

Daft Badger, Oct 28, 2017
  5. The point would be that 1080p is suggested to look better on X1X as well as having headroom for more consistent framerates - and even some 900p games will run 1080p on X1X.

There is also headroom for keeping more remote distance objects visible.

Some have talked about how X1X would run native 4k and downsize for better looks in 1080p - this is not going to happen.

Not many games will even run 4k on 4k monitors - upscaling of some sort will be done,

So running 1080p and getting X1X brings something extra - but 4k content is not needed as such.

So having to use up bandwidth downloading 4k content in all cases - is a turnoff.

Especially since it is in the same range as total game itself in some cases - I think Forza 7 is one of them.

I always buy retail on optical disk - so expect games released after X1X also would have 4k content on disk, but not really sure how that will be.

I go to Xbox store, solely to get some indication how large games are for download - to get estimate what you might expect for patch sizes.

As I have found, some games have 100% or more as patch download size compared to full game download at purchase.

Looking at Forza 7 so far - Microsoft have not updated info with download sizes - I looked a couple of days ago - and no released version tell that.

I think this is because MS knows this is an issue for many people - if half of gamers have good enough internet, other half does not - my own estimate thinking even distributed population are Xbox gamers.

Just about all games have their approx. download size in store - but not Forza 7.

From consumer rights point of view - this is important info - that you actually can download game you just purchased.

BookishFlunky90, Oct 28, 2017
  6. BookishFlunky90, Oct 28, 2017
  7. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest
    I’m not in the UK, but close enough Are you ready for X1X and prepared to download extra 50 GB on every game???? ;)

brandiesel1, Oct 28, 2017
  8. brandiesel1
    brandiesel1 Guest

When are the 4K patches gonna be available to download? I don’t see any yet and all of the games I have are on the enhanced list.

brandiesel1, Oct 28, 2017
  9. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    Think Forza 7 & GoW4 are the only ones available yet although I could be wrong.Not paid much attention to whats available & when.

My guess would be a few will be made available to download during this week.

Daft Badger, Oct 28, 2017
  10. Bear in mind that not all Enhanced games will require big download patches. Quite a few games will just be software patched to allow them to run in 4K, or near 4K resolution. A 4K enhancement doesn't always mean the game has to have 4k textures included
    as standard.

I mean I can play some of my PC games in 4K - I just change the screen resolution. Games look sharper and nicer, but the game download size remains the same. Xbox One X is obviously different, and all Enhanced games will require an update, but don't worry,
    they won't all be big updates.

Obsessive Power, Oct 28, 2017
  11. Will surely be like that - but still minimum option to not download it would be nice for a lot of people.

Not sure if it is to do with game engine they render with how that is built, on scanned textures or 3D modelling to higher degree.

Take some games like Golf:

a) The Golf Club - 36 courses built in from start, a course designer to make your own, and thousands of courses shared between players.

A little bit more generic in looks, but still good enough for realistic feel and trees shadown greens etc. Game size: 5 GB(patch size about 5 GB too).

b) Rory McIlroy PGA Tour - 8 courses. Game size: 27 GB(patch size 12.5 GB)

And overall TGC is the game I would recommend to anybody. You can abort anywhere on a course and just continue on that hole next time. You have a handicap system like amateurs have in real life, and this is improved as you play better. Nice flyby(scout camera). So
    what I thought was an inferior game due to size of it - was not that at all.

Rory is not even worth downloading the patch due to patch size. It is said to have autosave - but rounds I stopped in middle I had to start from hole 1 next time.

And you have no flyby to check out a hole - you only got one size map where you cannot zoom. A couple of view spots from tee. And some views of 10" rough or so look so noisy that it might be taken from a VHS video

So one conclusion - bigger size does not always make a game. These are quite comparable in open world point of view and how much you must present to gamer.

Over time maybe we learn which game engines also need hiddeous large 4k downloads.

Anyway, the link in OP tell a lot of patch sizes what you can expect in general if doing optical disk installs.

Please fill out fill updated into of games you know about.

Maybe that guy extend with 4k content sizes as well as now if you can play offline and some other good things to know - unless you are in the lucky half with internet.

BookishFlunky90, Oct 29, 2017
  12. That's really not how it works.

You can't just put a game on more powerful hardware and expect it to work better. Indeed some games will even run worse. Many games tie the physics to the framerate, Fallout 4 for example does this, and exceeding that framerate creates a lot of issues.

A 1080p game will look the same on a One as it will on the One X if there are no enhancements. By the same token a 900p game will not magically look better if the resolution is bumped up to 1080p, again it could actually look worse if the assets in the game
    don't support the new resolution.

Zen Like Calm, Oct 29, 2017
  13. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest

Thats where youre not quite right. X has a faster 7200rpm HDD and a MUCH more powerful GPU. Better hardware can still bring out better performance. AMD has been working on a tchnology which makes 1080p games look like 4k. If PS4 Pro (which is 40% WEAKER....
    haha) can play some 4k games, so much more so can the X.

Microsoft has already provided an official list of games (over 40 of them) which will be x enhanced. While it may not be 4k 1000fps, it will have higher visual fidelity in 1080p with better textures which make it look 4k due to the high bit rate for a 1080p
    picture.

smileskybird, Oct 29, 2017
  14. I was a bit unclear - potential to look better if enhanced - so about enhanced games was my intent.

MS list games that will be enhanced, support HDR and also do 4k as separate features.

So if getting Enhanced at least - those games will probably look a bit better and keep steadier fps.

That's one thing that impress me about MS and how they push devs a bit to enhance games for X1X - Sony did not do such a good job in that field with Pro, I think.

Once a game is released and sold - there is very little incitement to put more work into that game - and seems MS really push them.

Even the BC program is impressive in this sense, I think.

Checked out some youtube stuff on 360, X1 and PC - for the same game - and even running youtube at 720p you see differences clearly.

Even though PC compared to X1 was not all that obvious - different but if bit better - in 720p youtube I must emphasize - X1X might not be obvious either, we will see reviews and comparisons later probably.

And yes, more powerful hardware as well if not adapted and tested can be a problem.

I read some comments on PS4 Pro that has both some boost mode, running any game with a higher clock, and the properly adapted for Pro.

Quite a few people on eurogamer mention that they tried boost mode but shortly had issues, and turned it off again.

Still a bit curious about X1S if that had problems compared to X1 - since higher clock in general?

Saw some youtube reviews and fps comparison - and was about 4-5 fps better than launch X1 as I recall.

On my launch X1 I had issue first time I started a game and having turned on digital audio out - was testing headphones.

Game I started just froze - then I went back to home, and started again - and it went well. But turned that digital out off again later - who want issues.

Just tiny timing changes can make all the difference and you suddenly have something that feels a bit flaky.

And overall PC games get more patches due to so different hardware capabilities etc.

BookishFlunky90, Oct 29, 2017
  15. smileskybird
    smileskybird Guest
    I played this toy soldiers game for Xbox One once (can't remember the exact title name), and the Xbox One dashboard brought up an error "Fatal Error ran out of memory", or something. Well.... Xbox One original and S, only have 8GB DDR3 and only 5GB of that
    is available for gaming.

The X has 12GB of faster bandwidth GDDR5 memory. And yes the X will bring out noticeably better visual fidelity. It doesn't have to be all 4k perfect. A lot of games on Xbox aren't hitting 1080p native with good textures. With the X, games can do this. And
    Microsoft has a list of Xbox One X Enhanced games which comprises of at least over 40 games: Xbox One X Enhanced Games List | HDR, Ultra HD & 4K Gaming

AMD has crafted a lot of skill for Microsoft's Xbox One X console. This sort of hardware and technology can make games look better on a 1080p HDTV regardless of game developers support the X or not with their games. The X receives a significant major GPU
    upgrade compared to the original and S models and hardware specs wise, is more superior to the PS4 Pro. Just like how AMD and GTX GPU's can optimize your PC games regardless of game developer support, the X can also experience something similar too.

smileskybird, Oct 29, 2017
Thema: