Any way to play music I own (not from a streaming service) on Xbox Series S or X?

Discus and support Any way to play music I own (not from a streaming service) on Xbox Series S or X? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have my Xbox Series X in our game room connected to an AVR (tuner/amp) and on the same LAN as my Windows 11 PC, which is set up as a DLNA media... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by GraniteStateColin, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Any way to play music I own (not from a streaming service) on Xbox Series S or X?

I have my Xbox Series X in our game room connected to an AVR (tuner/amp) and on the same LAN as my Windows 11 PC, which is set up as a DLNA media server (music is accessible to other DLNA-supporting devices on the network like other Windows PC's and smart TV's, so this issue is limited to Xbox). I also have all the music in OneDrive. I know it used to be possible to play music on Xbox Series S and X a while back, but Microsoft seems to have removed all of those older methods. I can't even find a Groove or OneDrive app in the Store on Xbox and the new Media Player app doesn't seem to support either a network server or OneDrive access.

I know that Spotify offers a way to stream your own music, but that's only under their paid plan and I own all the music I care about, so I have no interest in paying for a streaming service just for someone else to randomize my music for me. Also, I think it would probably work if I put everything on a USB drive and plugged that into the Xbox (maybe), but when there's some music I want, I'll buy it digitally or on CD and then rip it. Because I have multiple Xboxes on the LAN and want the same solution to work on all of them, copying multiple USB drives is a hassle and a cost for multiple drives that I'd rather avoid. For those reasons, I want a solution that stays sync'd with my main music Library on PC and OneDrive.

Internet searches provide lots of info... on how to do this on the old Xbox One which supported both network access and OneDrive access, and then on Series S | X using the no-longer-available Groove app. Nothing I can find applies to the current Xbox situation.

So, as we head into 2024, is there any way to play my music, either via DLNA (provided by the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service) or from OneDrive on the Xbox Series S and X? If so, how?

:)

GraniteStateColin, Dec 29, 2023
  2. GraniteStateColin Win User

Any way to play music I own (not from a streaming service) on Xbox Series S or X?

i'd suggest you start with VLC, which I know for a fact and access drives on the net work and cloud storage services as well as take media off of a USB drive
    Thank you! I feel stupid. I'm familiar with VLC, but never thought to check the Microsoft Store on Xbox for that. When I read your post, my first thought was, "no, that only runs on computers and can't possibly be in the Xbox Store, right?" Sure enough, it was, and it worked perfectly. From going to the Store to search for VLC to playing my music in it probably took no more than about 2 minutes. In other words, it's a very small download and instantly sees all available DLNA servers.

I still find it frustrating that MS removed all support for owned music (and especially for OneDrive, which it seems they want people to use) with the latest Xbox updates, but glad there are third party solutions like VLC to fill in the gap.
  3. GraniteStateColin Win User

Less important to me, but it would be nice: is there a way to sync playlists between Windows and Xbox and Android devices?
  4. SwordofWhedon Win User

i'd suggest you start with VLC, which I know for a fact and access drives on the net work and cloud storage services as well as take media off of a USB drive
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Can't Run XBox App On PC With ARM - What Options Do I Have?

Hi,

Xbox Streaming is a subscription only service, you can't stream owned games on it.

Unless you have desire to buy a capable gaming PC or an Xbox Series S or X, you're better off requesting a refund.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

When I can play Blur game of Activision?

Be sure to check that the game is compatible with Xbox Series X before purchasing.

Another option is to look into game streaming services such as Xbox Cloud Gaming or Nvidia GeForce Now
    It's not backwards compatible I'm afraid.

It's not listed on GeForce Now's game list. Besides, GeForce now requires you to own a digital PC version of a game before you can play it.

Furthermore, the backwards compatibility program has ended. There will be no more Xbox 360 or original Xbox games made available for Xbox One or Series X|S consoles.

Blur was delisted from the Xbox Store around January 2013. It was likely removed because the licenses for in-game cars and music had expired.

The only way to play this game now is on an Xbox 360 console.
Thema:

1. Any way to play music I own (not from a streaming service) on Xbox Series S or X? - Similar Threads - play music own

2. Trying to play music via phone on my Xbox 360

in XBoX on Windows
    Trying to play music via phone on my Xbox 360: So I saw that a media player was present and I knew in the past we could hook our mp3 players to our 360 to play music so I tried with my phone and got error code 03-800705b4 anyone know this...
  3. Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?

in XBoX on Windows
    Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?: Is there a way to play game audio through headset but spotify playing only on monitor? d368a210-979a-44bc-90ee-70363e601680
  4. YT music so I can listen to it while I play

in XboX Insiders
    YT music so I can listen to it while I play: I need a yt music app on my Xbox submitted by /u/wurmEmpire [link] [comments]
  5. Is it possible to let the music play when switching from a game to the main menu?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Is it possible to let the music play when switching from a game to the main menu?: Hello, I just got the Xbox Series X and i noticed that when i have Spotify playing and a game running it will stop the audio for a second when switching to the starting menu and vice versa. Is it...
  6. can xbox play dolby audio through inbuilt music apps(apple music etc)?

in XBoX on Consoles
    can xbox play dolby audio through inbuilt music apps(apple music etc)?: greetings everyone before explaining my problm ..im describing the instruments im using.. xbox series x sony 43 inches tv( smart tv capable of 5.1 audio and dolby audio) support ARC hdmi sony...
  7. Play your own music using the new background music feature

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Play your own music using the new background music feature: So today an app called simple background music was released and this lets you use a usb drive for music playback. which is what the 360 could do but better. To find it go to the apps section and...
  8. How to Play my own music? onedrive and xbox music dont work

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to Play my own music? onedrive and xbox music dont work: How am i supposed to play music that I already own? My xbox one wont show the music on my onedrive and xbox music will only work if i stream it to my xbox and that is soo annoying because I have...
  9. Play My Own Music Over Games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Play My Own Music Over Games: At launch, the Xbox 360 was able to stream music wirelessly from PCs to substitute games' soundtracks. This was one of the best features of that console. Here we are, nine years later, with a...
  10. Xbox 360s "play your own music anytime" enhances my gaming experience :)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360s "play your own music anytime" enhances my gaming experience :): .......... Hello everyone :) I would like to share the music that I listen to when gaming that enhances my experience & I'm curious to see what others listen to. With that being said, I hope...