Account split after signing in on Xbox One S to grant child in Family Group permissions,...

Discus and support Account split after signing in on Xbox One S to grant child in Family Group permissions,... in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Important Details: Device: Xbox One S. Mobile Device: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max. Child's account was over 2 years old with Parental Consent. Child's... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by JojoYoder, Nov 28, 2023.

1. JojoYoder
    JojoYoder Guest

Account split after signing in on Xbox One S to grant child in Family Group permissions,...

Important Details:

• Device: Xbox One S.
    • Mobile Device: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max.
    • Child's account was over 2 years old with Parental Consent.
    • Child's account is for a child under 13.
    • Parent is over the age of 21, as reflected on the parent's Microsoft account.
    • Parent utilized 3 alias email addresses with one primary.
    • Primary alias (username) was in use for more than 6 months, with a private domain (ex: @example.com).
    • Alternate alias #2 was previously the primary alias, with a @gmail.com domain.
    • Alternate alias #1 is the outlook email address associated with the Microsoft account with a @outlook.com domain.
    • Original Family group had 7 members; 2 Family Organizers and 5 Family Members. This child was one of those Family Members prior to this event.
    • Microsoft doesn't allow account merging.
    • Microsoft formally doesn't allow children to leave family groups unless the specific Family Organizer that gave them Parental Consent revokes consent.
    • Microsoft doesn't allow Family Organizers under 21 to revoke consent.
    • Account using Primary Alias is listed as a Family Organizer since 2016.
    • Account using #2 Alias is listed as a Family Organizer since 2023.
    • I used #2 Alias when logging into Microsoft to grant permissions.

My son was prompted to have a parent grant permission to use their Microsoft account by either Phone/PC or on the Xbox. After attempting to use the Phone/PC method twice and getting an error I failed to capture verbatim but was along the lines of 'It's not you, It's us. There was an unknown error'. I then tried the 'Log in on this Xbox' option. Signed in, granted the permission, and then got a similar error message. I went back to the Xbox home screen and things were back to functional for his account.

Later, I see a notification on my phone for an email from Microsoft saying my son was removed from the family group. I log into the Family Safety app, and sure enough he's not listed in the family group. I log into his account and see that he's in a family group consisting of only him as a Family Member and an account using my #2 alias as the Family Organizer.

My concerns:

• Which account are my purchases and third party logins associated with?
    • How to get child's account back to the original Family Group without loosing his purchases, third party logins, or game data associated with his account: Does Microsoft save or delete this data after Parental Consent is revoked for content Parental Consent is needed for?
    I contacted Microsoft customer service through the Microsoft Chat - Verified it was legitimately Microsoft via the .Microsoft domain. I explained the circumstances to the agent. The agent essentially accused me of making a second Microsoft account, and instructed me to remove the child from #2 Alias account and then add the child back to the Primary Alias account. I know that I did not accidentally create a new account for several reasons:

1. I specifically used the sign-in form with a single Email text box and only 1 password text box, not the sign-up field which would have 2 password text boxes to verify you typed the same password twice.
    2. A sign-up form would have had a whole funnel of an information gathering process and privacy policy acknowledgements, which was not anything I did or saw when I logged in.
    3. Transferring a child to a new account is not as simple as logging in with a new parent account and giving permissions, there's a tedious process; that was not what happened.
    4. I never entered my name or DOB in at any point of the log-in, however the #2 Alias account did have my name and DOB.
    5. At the EXACT same time I received the email from Primary Alias saying my child left the family group, I also got an email to my #2 Alias saying my child joined it's family group. Transferring a child to another family group formally is a tedious process and IMPOSSIBLE to add to another family group within the same minute of leaving another family group. Not only is it a process you couldn't complete that quickly, it's a process you would KNOW you did.
    When I went to the Family Safety page while logged into the #2 Alias to remove my child from that account I was not able to and got this error: "You can't remove Child from the family group. Family members under statutory age need adult's consent to join a family group. Only the adult that granted consent for Child can remove this family member. Ask the family organizer who granted Child consent to remove Child from the family group." What became obvious is that Primary Alias' account is the organizer that gave my child consent and this is why #2 Alias' account is not able to remove the child.

Clearly this did not happen during the process of a tech illiterate individual messing around with settings they didn't understand; even if I wasn't the Head of a Home Technology IT company (which I am), it would be obvious this didn't happen by bumbling around the formal process. This is very obviously a bug that caused my Microsoft account to split when I logged in using #2 Alias.

How do I:

1. Get my child's account back to the original family group without loosing data?
    2. Deal with getting rid of the new split account without loosing access to my child's account and loosing potential data?

:)

JojoYoder, Nov 28, 2023
  2. XBF Mohammed C Win User

Sea of Thieves Avacadobeard

Please sign in to account.xbox.com/settings and ensure none of the multiplayer permissions are blocked.

If you are a child account you will not be granted access to the link above, as it requires an adult account from the family group to change the settings on behalf of you!
  3. ChiefJoboo Win User

Giochi vietati ai minori[Games prohibited for minors]

Please see this page for how to grant an exception for a child account to play games that the account can not normally play:

(Please note that changing the birth date on the Microsoft account will not change the birth date of the xbox account - that's permanent.)

------------------

If you want to give your child permission to view content that’s rated higher than the child account settings for your family, you don’t need to change all of the settings to give access to a specific item.

Any adult in the family can grant exceptions to the content limits currently in the child account settings for your family. You have two options in granting exceptions:

• Always – This option grants a permanent exception that can’t be revoked.
    • Just this once – This option is a one-time-only exception. It expires as soon as the child signs out of the console.

How to grant an exception to content limits

Note If you’re allowing your child to buy the game or video to which you’re granting an exception, the content must be purchased, downloaded, and installed before you can give permission to use it.

1. Have your child sign in to their account on the Xbox One console.
    2. Locate the content you want to allow your child to access.
    3. On the Choose who will give permission screen, select the account of the adult family member who's providing permission.
    4. Enter the adult’s account email address and password, or the console’s passkey.
    5. Select either Always or Just this once.
    After you give permission for your child to use this content, they can open the content immediately.
  4. XBF Diego M Win User

Xbox ebeveyn kontrolü [Translation-Xbox parental control]

Hi MehmetEmre1,

As Parity mentioned, in order to give you the best assistance, we need to know exactly what part of setting up a Family group you are encountering an error.

It seems you are trying to play Gears of War with a child account that needs a parent account to allow access for the child account to play a mature rated game. Do you already have a parent account and is the error when trying to add the child account
    to a Family?

First, if you are having trouble adding someone to the Family, I suggest reading "You can't add someone to your family on Xbox One".

After you have the child account added to a Family group with a parent account add both accounts to the Xbox console. Then have the child access the game and it should prompt the parent account to grant the permission to play that game always or just once.
    You can find more information here, "Grant an exception to your child’s content limits on Xbox One".
  5. XBF Mohammed C Win User

online play

Please sign in to account.xbox.com/settings and ensure none of the multiplayer permissions are blocked.

If you are a child account you will not be granted access to the link above, as it requires an adult account from the family group to change the settings on behalf of you!

In this case, please sign in to https://account.microsoft.com/family and check for the organizer account linked to your account then sign using the organizer account to https://account.xbox.com/settings and allow the permissions regarding multiplayer!
  6. XBF Felixx P Win User

Adding always allowed apps to my childs account on xbox one

Hello ScottPaul1!

Thanks for reaching out to Xbox forums support.

Below I'll provide you with a direct link on how to always Allow your child to Use certain apps.

Grant an exception to your child’s content limits on Xbox One

If you want to give your child permission to view content that’s rated higher than the child account settings for your family, you don’t need to change all of the settings to give access to a specific item.

Any adult in the family can grant exceptions to the content limits currently in the child account settings for your family. You have two options in granting exceptions:

• Always – This option grants a permanent exception that can’t be revoked.
    • Just this once – This option is a one-time-only exception. It expires as soon as the child signs out of the console.
    Note To grant the "always" exception, you need to have an Xbox account on the console. If your account is not on the console, you can only provide a temporary ("just this once") exception for the current session.

How to grant an exception to content limits

Note If you’re allowing your child to buy the game or video to which you’re granting an exception, the content must be purchased, downloaded, and installed before you can give permission to use it.

1. Have your child sign in to their account on the Xbox One console.
    2. Locate the content you want to allow your child to access.
    3. On the Choose who will give permission screen, select the account of the adult family member who's providing permission.
    4. Enter the adult’s account email address and password, or the console’s passkey.
    5. Select either Always or Just this once (or only
      Just this once if your account is not on the console).
    After you give permission for your child to use this content, they can open the content immediately.

I hope this helps! Let us know!

Felix

Xbox forums support
Thema:

1. Account split after signing in on Xbox One S to grant child in Family Group permissions,... - Similar Threads - Account split signing

2. Microsoft split my accounts - how can I merge them again?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Microsoft split my accounts - how can I merge them again?: Hi, I had two emails associated with my Microsoft account, a Gmail one and a Hotmail one. However, these have now been split into two accounts. I need to merge these accounts again because my...
  3. Won't let me split screen or add a guest account

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Won't let me split screen or add a guest account: The call of duty Black ops 2 won't let me download or add a guest account to split screen 7f9cb0d2-ac31-46e3-8866-e6ed2dbb488a
  4. I made this account to play with my brother on bo3 split screen and while I had it while a...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I made this account to play with my brother on bo3 split screen and while I had it while a...: Why did this happen to me and why so long? 006d4fb9-1a56-46b1-a13c-a38e3bb2d3bd
  5. My Microsoft account has split and redeemed currency on the wrong account

in XBoX Accessibility
    My Microsoft account has split and redeemed currency on the wrong account: I redeemed 2,200 currency from a code for Halo Infinite but it transferred to an account that I had never set up or seen under the same email, I signed out and then signed back in to the same...
  6. My son is now 18 and wants his own xbox account - how do we split up the account ? (away...

in XBoX Accessibility
    My son is now 18 and wants his own xbox account - how do we split up the account ? (away...: Can he keep his progress and updates too? f5ba9ae0-a21c-450c-b567-31cd8e95f777
  7. Guest account not working for split screen gameplay . Help!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Guest account not working for split screen gameplay . Help!: Split screen on series x isn't working on Cold War. Is anyone else having this issue? We have tried every way we can possibly think of to have a guest join on multiplayer and zombies but nothing...
  8. Split payment, use up credit balance, child account.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Split payment, use up credit balance, child account.: As I figured out the solution this is more of an informative comment than a question. How do you use up a remaining Microsoft credit balance by splitting a payment for online store purchases with...
  9. can I safely split and xbox live account from my pc account without messing up both?

in XBoX on Windows
    can I safely split and xbox live account from my pc account without messing up both?: I gave my brother the xbox one and he bought a ton of games and uses xbox live. I still use the microsoft account for my computer. I want to split the account is this possible? -Thanks...
  10. Account split

in XBoX on Consoles
    Account split: Hi all ive had a look through previous posts but cannot find exactly what a need. My stepson started using my xbox account years ago. Its linked to my microsoft account. If i change my password...