Access USB hard drive over my network?

Discus and support Access USB hard drive over my network? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Just got my Xbox One console and I've found the media player app to be especially useful. However, I was wondering if it was possible to transfer files... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Trust Buster 84, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Access USB hard drive over my network?

Just got my Xbox One console and I've found the media player app to be especially useful. However, I was wondering if it was possible to transfer files over my network from my PC to my external USB hard drive that is connected to the console. I want to be
    able to add new movies without having to unplug the drive and while I know there are other options for watching videos, I'd like to be able to play them from my USB HDD so I can play them while offline if need be.

Is this even possible? If so, how?

:)

Trust Buster 84, Jun 19, 2016
  2. BannedUser
    BannedUser Guest
    Xbox 1 Raid support?

You might not be able to raid multiple drives hooked up over USB, but they make hard drive enclosures with Raid that hook up over USB that would work.

BannedUser, Jun 19, 2016
  3. Cant play GTA 5

It's saved on my Hard drive. I will move my save over to an USB Thanks Access USB hard drive over my network? :)

xXAngryBreadXx, Jun 19, 2016
  4. Access USB hard drive over my network?

Hi,

Sorry, what you are asking isn't possible. You can not transfer files to an external hard drive while it is connected to an Xbox One. However, the Xbox One does fully support video streaming via DLNA, which industry standard now. So, you can stream video
    from a computer, tablet or mobile device with the appropriate DLNA streaming software. To that, you need to hook up your external hard drive to that device rather than your console.

If you want the ability to copy, move or delete files that you are going to be viewing via your Xbox One, you'll need to connect your hard drive to a media streaming device. Which can be a PC, tablet or other type of supported set-top box. Android based TV
    boxes can do this really cheaply, or you can build your own using a Rasberry Pie. device.

Hope that helps.

Obsessive Power, Jun 20, 2016
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

Sorry, what you are asking isn't possible. You can not transfer files to an external hard drive while it is connected to an Xbox One. However, the Xbox One does fully support video streaming via DLNA, which industry standard now. So, you can stream video
    from a computer, tablet or mobile device with the appropriate DLNA streaming software. To that, you need to hook up your external hard drive to that device rather than your console.

If you want the ability to copy, move or delete files that you are going to be viewing via your Xbox One, you'll need to connect your hard drive to a media streaming device. Which can be a PC, tablet or other type of supported set-top box. Android based TV
    boxes can do this really cheaply, or you can build your own using a Rasberry Pie. device.

Hope that helps.
  6. xSINsanityx Win User

External USB HD w/ Ethernet for Xbox 360

Not even close. I think what I described is pretty clear. I want the USB Hard Drive always plugged in (via USB) to my Xbox 360. This hard drive will also have an Ethernet connection which will be plugged into my home network. This way, I can transfer
    files over the network to the Hard Drive without ever having to unplug or move it from where it is located, which would be plugged into my Xbox 360.
  7. xXAngryBreadXx Win User

Cant play GTA 5

It's saved on my Hard drive. I will move my save over to an USB Thanks :)
  8. Surata-8E942F6C-5B94 Win User

Cannot Connect to XBox Live

Attempted to use USB without the hard drive. The console will connect to the network and the internet but still not to Xbox Live to download my profile to the USB. Getting so frustrated :(
  9. ahhell Win User

Update fails at 76%

Mine is failing in the exact same spot. So that pretty much rules out basic networking.

I had no luck going through support either.

My guess is there is either a bunch of bad hard drives out there or something went wrong imaging the drives at the factory (<---most likely).

We just need a solid way to update over USB or optical to completely eliminate the network altogether.
Thema:

1. Access USB hard drive over my network? - Similar Threads - Access USB hard

2. GameStop digital preorder how do I get access to it?

in XboX Insiders
    GameStop digital preorder how do I get access to it?: I preordered a digital game today at GameStop. I tried to figure out how the whole process of getting access to it works while at the store, but I left still confused. How does a digital pre order...
  3. Why can’t I access Xbox at all?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I access Xbox at all?: My sister has a Microsoft account and can log into Minecraft just fine, but when I try to access anything else Xbox related it just signs me out. I know this isn’t an internet issue because I...
  4. Is there anyway I can gain access to my old xbox account. I know the email, just no longer...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Is there anyway I can gain access to my old xbox account. I know the email, just no longer...: Am i able to gain control of my old xbox account, if I know the username and email it was linked to. Even though I don’t have access to that email anymore. dd2e857c-3391-4d7c-b372-25a046952f5c
  5. Why won't Microsoft?Let us have access to the u s b headsets on xbox?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't Microsoft?Let us have access to the u s b headsets on xbox?: It seems like microsoft does not care about the customers. There is a myriad of reasons we want to use them. Mine is a sentimental reason from a deceased friend and I cannot use it. Help me make...
  6. how do I reset the password for an old account that I cant access anymore

in XBoX Accessibility
    how do I reset the password for an old account that I cant access anymore: I have not really cared about this account for a long time until now but I have been trying for hours on the recovery account I have the email if you want to find out the information but since it...
  7. How do I cancel this subscription/Gain access to this account again.

in XBoX on Windows
    How do I cancel this subscription/Gain access to this account again.: It has been 3 days of trying to call Xbox or email to which none of these methods have worked. For it being a 3 trillion dollar company you'd really expect better with support and not...
  8. How to access USB flash drive on Xbox Series X

in XboX Insiders
    How to access USB flash drive on Xbox Series X: Hey guys, I'm trying to mod Minecraft on my Xbox Series X, just a couple graphical files, however I can't see any of the files on the USB. Anyone know how I can do this? submitted by...
  9. External USB drive & Media Player - “NO ACCESS TO THIS LOCATION”

in XBoX on Consoles
    External USB drive & Media Player - “NO ACCESS TO THIS LOCATION”: I have a 4TB external USB drive that I've been using for media (video and music). Previously, there have been no issues - launch console, select Media Player, select video or music folder and...
  10. Access to the livebox 2 usb port

in XBoX on Consoles
    Access to the livebox 2 usb port: Hello. I would like to use my xbox one to read musics and videos from the external drive plugged to my livebox 2 by usb. But I don't know how, when I use the application video or music, nothing...