5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One

Discus and support 5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; It must be that your TV doesn't recognize DTS and so it doesn't pass it on. Atleast there's the Dolby option now. Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by pshankstar, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Koop10010
    Koop10010 Guest

It must be that your TV doesn't recognize DTS and so it doesn't pass it on. Atleast there's the Dolby option now.

Koop10010, Mar 7, 2014
  2. wow i gotta say i'm ***. i was on the phone for 2 hours with tech support and after all they had me try the end result was a cop orate answer… "your bose surround is 6 years old and we haven't made a patch to make it work yet" i wasn't buying it n now finding
    this thread and another the optical cable fixed it. the tech had me try the optical but had me leave it on 5.1 and at no point suggested bitstream and actually had no idea that was a option. thanks for all the info on here. i was about to lose it lol.

DeathSeeker77, May 27, 2014
  3. I was having this problem and just needed to enable it in settings, thanks all!

Roosta-9355CA90-9870-4D21-BCD8-548EAD53FFE7, Aug 23, 2014
  4. Udo2C
    Udo2C Guest

Using bitstream causes audio lag for me with either dolby or DTS. Using stereo or 5.1 uncompressed fixes this issue. However, 5.1 uncompressed has the same issues as noted above. I am left with having to use stereo sound.

Udo2C, Sep 10, 2014
  5. EvilBob
    EvilBob Guest
    I found another piece of this puzzle. I was unable to get surround (stereo sounded OK). Whenever I tried to set HDMI audio to anything other than stereo, I would get an error saying that surround was not supported. All my other gadgets give surround sound
    with no problem.

What I discovered is a problem with *video* output autodetection. Find that setting, switch from AUTO to MANUAL, and choose HDMI. You will have to set up the resolution of your TV manually, and you will probably have to re-engage 3D support if you have
    it. NOW go to the HDMI audio selections and choose 5.1, 7.1, bitstream, etc.

EvilBob, Sep 16, 2014
  6. sliyk
    sliyk Guest
    EvilBob I just tried what you said and it worked!! thanks a million bro!

to be clear I have a samsung smart tv samsung surround sound 5.1 and xbox one.

all my devices including sky box are connected to the tv via hdmi, and then the tv takes sound to the amp via optical [and hdmi anynet+ connection]

whenever i tried to change the hdmi audio to 5.1 or bitstream it would say not supported, but i just tried what you said and set it to 1080 p manually and it accepted the setting. thanks!

sliyk, Nov 12, 2014
  7. sliyk
    sliyk Guest
    funny thing is, im not sure if its actual surround now or not. i did the kinect test and the kinect tests about 8 different sounds while callibrating your mic, the last three sounds didnt come out [you can tell by the sound graph on the screen] so maybe
    going back to stupid stereo.

sliyk, Nov 12, 2014
  8. sliyk
    sliyk Guest

sorry for triple posting but yes i just tested the 5.1 option on battlefield 4 and the master chief collection and the cut scene dialogues are so low volume and in the background whereas when im playing the game i actually feel that my rear speakers are
    working correctly now with bullets whizzing past me picked up by my rear speakers, this is definitely not there in stereo uncompressed but how do i fix the cut scene volume?

thanks

sliyk, Nov 12, 2014
  9. zaphod-trey
    zaphod-trey Guest
    Just a bump, I have a new 5.1 samsung surround system, I've read all the posts here to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, and no... I still can't get the day one xbox to output 5.1. I have checked, re-checked, and tripple checked, my optical settings
    are bitstream - Dolby (I also tried DTS) and if I unplug the optical cable from the xbox and plug it into my cable box (or any other box as far as I can tell) the 5.1 works fine.

This is seriously disappointing, I too was excited about the "all in one" media center that MS promised, but so far xbox video is seriously lacking in updates and customer support, and now with this issue I'm thinking about just building a media PC (Linux
    obviously since MS seems not to care).

zaphod-trey, Feb 13, 2015
  10. Hey there, zaphod420! I'm very sorry to see any issues with your sound output! This thread is almost a year old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way
    our community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. 5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One :)

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: