5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One

Discus and support 5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have my Xbox One setup to use 5.1 surround sound since I have surround sound system. All other HDMI devices, DirecTV, Apple TV and Blu-Ray Player... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by pshankstar, Feb 24, 2014.

1. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest

So I have my Xbox One setup to use 5.1 surround sound since I have surround sound system. All other HDMI devices, DirecTV, Apple TV and Blu-Ray Player all hook into my LG TV via HDMI. The TV is then connected to the receiver via an optical cable. All
    three of those devices can output a surround sound signal. Well, since making the change in the settings on the Xbox One and playing COD Ghosts, it still doesn't output surround sound. Worst of all I went to use Netflix through the Xbox One and the voices
    are so hard to hear the background noise/sound and music is so loud and over powering. It is so over powering that you cannot hear what any character is saying! Yet my Apple TV and Blu-Ray player can stream Netflix with surround sound on this setup with
    no problems!

I was really looking forward to the Xbox One being the one system that I use for my primary TV! I was planning on moving the Blu-Ray player and Apple TV to other TVs in the house after I purchased my Xbox One! Now those devices will stay and my Xbox One
    will be used only for gaming. I guess Microsoft did get it right, its the one device to play games ONLY! Oh and my DirecTV receive is not hooked up to the Xbox One. Their passive HDMI is a joke! My wife and visiting family do not want to bother with the
    Xbox just to watch TV!

Sorry for the little bit of a rant but this just really [Mod Removed] me off! So, have others experience this problem too? Any suggestions or are we just waiting for a software patch to fix this issue among many others (such as the passive
    HDMI issue)? Thanks in advance!

:)

pshankstar, Feb 24, 2014
  2. crUSAder650
    crUSAder650 Guest
    Still no Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround after update

I did change to Bistream, then two choices are DTS surround sound and Dolby Digital.

My Xbox 360 and PS4 have sound option which offers Dolby Digital 5.1, whereas XBox One doesn't. Based on that, makes me think it still doesn't process in 5.1 for DD.

crUSAder650, Feb 24, 2014
  3. Mister Beep
    Mister Beep Guest
    Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible games not outputting 7.1 audio from HDMI

Hey there,

The Xbox 360 console doesn't support 7.1 surround, only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS. Due to this, it is normal that backward compatible games are outputting 5.1 surround. On your Xbox 360 setup, it sounds you have it set up with Pro Logic IIx to simulate 7.1
    surround sound, but the Xbox 360 console doesn't support true 7.1 surround sound.

Hope this helps clear it up.

Mister Beep, Feb 24, 2014
  4. XB1R Loki
    XB1R Loki Guest

Hello,

Thank you for the excellent inquiry. Typically it's recommended that the Xbox one use the Optical directly to the Audio/Video receiver for the best quality. However the set up you have should also work. Seeing as you have the hardware aspect configured
    correctly, it's time to delve in to the settings and make sure those are all configured correctly as well.

First, since your configuration is set up to use optical for audio (assuming your TV has surround sound passthrough), let's disable the audio over HDMI. To do this:

On the console, navigate to:

-Settings > Display and Audio > Digital Audio.

From here, you can change HDMI audio to Off, and set the optical audio from Stereo to Bitstream. Once it's set to Bitstream, the Bitstream format will become available to select (either DTS or Dolby)

At this point, test again to see if this resolved the issue. If, however, this did not resolve the issue, you can enable the beta surround sound feature. To do this:

On the console, navigate to:

-Settings > TV & OneGuide > Troubleshooting > Audio > Enable 'Surround Sound (BETA)'

*NOTE: Please be aware that the Surround Sound feature is still in BETA and not typically supported through standard support channels.

XB1R Loki, Feb 24, 2014
  5. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest
    So what you are telling me is you want me to use an optical connection from my Xbox One to my receiver directly? Follow your instructions to see if that works. If it does work, then buy a coaxial cable to run from my TV to my receiver for all of my other
    equipment (i.e. DirecTV, Apple TV & Blu-Ray Player)? Since I only have one optical input to my receiver, this would be my only solution to keep my other devices connected to my surround sound system.

I will try this later tonight when I am able to play and report back. But I am going to be
    [Mod Removed] if I have to do this. This all in ONE Xbox is far from it if I have to continually change my setup (which every other piece of equipment just works when connected)!

pshankstar, Feb 25, 2014
  6. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest
    I did what you recommended Loki but I think this is a little ridiculous! Why is it every other device I have just using HDMI to my TV is able to get surround sound out of my receiver (optical from TV to receiver), yet not my Xbox One? I have to dedicate
    an optical cable to connect my Xbox One directly to my receiver to get surround sound and to be able to hear people speak (or yell) in a movie. I believe this is an issue with the Xbox One and really needs to be addressed. I hope this gets fixed in the next
    update scheduled for next month. Right now I still see my Xbox One as a gaming system ONLY, not a true media device!

BTW, thank you for responding and your help but I hope that Microsoft is looking into issues like this.

pshankstar, Feb 25, 2014
  7. How many HDMI inputs do you have on your receiver?

Prezdead-5478B08A-FC7D-425B-BF6E-9F1ED3BF584A, Feb 25, 2014
  8. SGT SADLER
    SGT SADLER Guest

For the low sound quality turn Dynamic Range Control off in Blu-ray settings, and i have my Sound settings setup as Hdmi = stereo uncompressed and Optical on Dts surround sound. Hdmi is plugged to led straight from the One and Optical straight from the One
    to the Amp which is set to Tv mode to hear the Digital sound and on the display it says Dts it only supports Dts on the One so does your Home Theater support Dts ?

SGT SADLER, Feb 25, 2014
  9. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest
    Prezdead, it's an older receiver so no HDMI on the receiver itself. That's why I use an optical Toslink cable from the TV to the receiver. All other devices, DirecTV, Apple TV and my blu-ray player all work just fine this way. But if I turn on the 5.1
    setting (not stereo or any other HDMI audio) on the Xbox One with the above mentioned setup, when watching a movie on Netflix, I cannot hear the characters speak. I have to change it back to Stereo or use an optical audio direct from the Xbox One to my receiver.
    Then use a digital COAX cable from my TV to my receiver for all the other devices. This tells me it is a problem with the audio out from the Xbox One via HDMI, not my TV.

SGT Sadler, my home theater does support DTS. Everything works if I do connect an optical audio cable directly from my Xbox One to my receiver. I just feel that what I described above to Prez the Xbox One should work that way. Not requiring me to have
    use an optical cable for surround sound. Maybe I'm asking too much from Microsoft, but I don't believe so... Just like having a true passive HDMI output. So family can watch TV without the need to turn on the Xbox One. Hope that gets addressed very quickly!

pshankstar, Feb 26, 2014
  10. MajicB
    MajicB Guest
    Join the club pshankstar, all of us with hometheater systems that don't support HDMI/DTS are SOL.....three updates in and M$ still won't pay that licensing fee.....not to mention my Tritton surround 'phones that are gathering dust...

So much for an entertainment console that was supposed to "take over the living room", they can't even take over the bathroom with this "turd"

MajicB, Feb 26, 2014
  11. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest
    MajicB, nicely put! LOL I feel like I just bought a $500+ boat anchor with issues like this and others. As much as I am happy to know I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem, this really SUCKS for us all!

It's to the point where now when friends and family come over and want to check it out, I tell them its only a gaming system not anything like its advertised! I was so excited to purchase the Xbox One just before Christmas as a gift to myself (long story)
    but now I really have all the steam let out of me. I come across issues like this over and over again as I try to see what else I can do with the Xbox One. Simply put, it's just a gaming system with broken bells and whistles! At least I enjoy COD Ghosts,
    the only game I currently have. Which by the way, it sounded like crap last night once I had it connected to my received directly via an optical cable. I might just rewire everything back to the way it was & set it back to stereo...

pshankstar, Feb 26, 2014
  12. SGT SADLER
    SGT SADLER Guest
    Oh ok its all in the options maybe the March 11th update will fix this bug i prefer to plug my sound direct from Xbox One to reciever and hdmi direct from console to tv i don't want to see or hear lag.

SGT SADLER, Feb 26, 2014
  13. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest

Well the beta patch preview did not fix this issue nor did the release from the other day. I updated my Xbox (controller too) and tried my tests again to find the same results. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? So far it is still not my ONE
    entertainment device...

pshankstar, Mar 7, 2014
  14. Koop10010
    Koop10010 Guest
    You need to select bitstream audio over HDMI, not 5.1 uncompressed. The optical cable you are running from your TV to the amp can only carry compressed surround sound, like Dolby or DTS. Optical cables only have the bandwidth for uncompressed audio in
    2 channels, aka stereo. If your TV is only sending the front speakers out of the 5.1 mix, that would be why you hear all kinds of background noise and not people speaking. Picking either DTS or Dolby should solve this problem.

Koop10010, Mar 7, 2014
  15. pshankstar
    pshankstar Guest
    Koop10010, thanks! For some reason this did not work last night at almost 1am (maybe too tired on my part). I did what you suggested, but I needed to select Dolby. When I selected DTS there was absolutely no sound at all. Although my receiver does support
    DTS. Thanks again, I must have thought I tried Dolby last night and didn't. Oops!

pshankstar, Mar 7, 2014
Thema:

1. 5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One - Similar Threads - Surround Sound Doesn't

2. When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...: Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing players to use spatial sound cues (direction...
  3. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  4. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  5. How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S: I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions...
  6. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Windows
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  7. How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?: Toshiba TV Series X Yamaha receiver I have the Receiver(HDMI out) connected to the TV(HDMI in) and the Receiver(HDMI #1) connected to the Xbox(HDMI out). It was working perfectly fine, I was...
  8. Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.

in XBoX on Windows
    Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.: So I was using my Xbox series s with my Vizio 4k tv that supports DTX Surround Sound and all of a sudden it stopped working. The only way it works is if I'm in the settings for the audio. After I...
  9. Media Player Surround Sound Reproduction doesn't work.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Media Player Surround Sound Reproduction doesn't work.: I am having an issue with the new media player while streaming videos from my Synology NAS via my Xbox One, videos play fine however the sound which I feed from the Xbox One into my NAD T758...
  10. 5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    5.1 Surround Sound Doesn't Work Properly on Xbox One: Hi, I have connected my Xbox One to my reciever with an optical Cable, when playing Blue-Rays I have full surround with both DTS and DD. But when playing games I only have 2.0 sound... I have...