4K HDR system menu option to improve display on 4K projectors

Discus and support 4K HDR system menu option to improve display on 4K projectors in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; My setup: AVR with 4K, Series X, 4K laser projector, optical HDMI cable for 2.1 speed (verified). The system menus on Xbox are scaled up to 4K (you... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Xenon8000, Jun 23, 2023.

1. /u/Xenon8000
    /u/Xenon8000 Guest

My setup:

AVR with 4K, Series X, 4K laser projector, optical HDMI cable for 2.1 speed (verified).

The system menus on Xbox are scaled up to 4K (you can clearly see the blown up pixels not perfectly anti-aliased as squares and shadows on the text).

Also: The colors are off if the projector output has been manually set to HDR (4:4:4).

It would be great, if a test could be run on on an insider build to see if an Xbox OS could also use a menu in real 4K - at least for the fonts - and in HDR 4:4:4 (check the Apple TV which can be set to 4K 4:4:4) without losing too much performance.

I know it's not a big issue, at least for the majority of the community who probably plays on screens or tv's. I do love playing games on a huge 15 ft wall but the menu of my great and powerful Series X console looks like my 10 year old Blu-ray player.

submitted by /u/Xenon8000
    [link] [comments]

/u/Xenon8000, Jun 23, 2023
  2. KayKay Lavan Win User

Xbox One S doesn't recognise 4K compatibility on a 4K projector

Finally, I took my Xbox one s to my friend's house and connected it to a 4K OLED TV. And I can see the 4K and HDR signals working fine. I used the same HDMI cable that was connected to the 4K projector. But when connected back to the projector and selected
    the option Allow 4K I see the message the TV doesn't support 4K. But Allow HDR is fine on the Projector. I don't know where the issue is. The projector seems to work fine with Apple TV 4K, Firestick 4K and nVidia Shield TV with 4K HDR signals. The issue seems
    to be with the Xbox the way its detecting the signal on the TV.
  3. KayKay Lavan Win User

Xbox One S doesn't recognise 4K compatibility on a 4K projector

No, I don't have to. The projector automatically recognises 4K. There is no option to activate. I didn't have to for other devices like Apple TV 4K and Firestick 4K. They were automatically recognised with 4K HDR.
  4. Arminator Win User

Xbox is pretty cool. But wanna know how to make it cooler?

Pro-Tip: Instead of a 4K HDR TV, get yourself a 4K HDR projector and a huge projection screen.
  5. Mister Mascot Win User

Xbox One S and Epson 5040UB

Hey all,

From the research I've been looking at, these projectors don't appear to be using Native 4k over HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a It looks like the projector will accept a 4k Signal, but then downscale it to 1080p. This looks like the reason for it not working properly
    for you on the Epson 5040ub, EH-TW7300 and 6040ub.

We'd recommend reaching out to Epson for further clarification on if the Projector displays in True 4K while using HDR.

If it doesn't, than this would be the reason that 4K Blu-ray UHD discs are not playing at a 4K resolution and only at 1080p.
  6. psycold Win User

Epson 5040UB : Your TV setup doesn't support HDR10 for gaming. Games won't be shown in HDR

Here I am a year later with the same issue, different projector. Using the Optoma UHD51A and I can watch 4k HDR movies from a 4k blu-ray disc, but the X-Box says my system is not capable of 4k HDR gaming. So, still no fix eh?
Thema:

1. 4K HDR system menu option to improve display on 4K projectors - Similar Threads - HDR system menu

2. Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Recent Captures Says 4k HDR for Clip, but Captures App Shows 1080 SDR?: I took a brief clip of some gameplay recently, and I noticed that while it says the clip was in 4k HDR viewing it in the "Recent Captures" tab, in the Captures application, it lists the clip at...
  3. Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox keeps disconnecting from tv when opening hdr games?: Just went out and bought a 120hz 4k tv with the purpose for gaming, but EVERY game i open immediately forces my tv to say “lost signal” but then i can hit the home button and go back and it...
  4. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  5. Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto hdr used to work now it doesnt: So before it was automatically on and that worked but then i went thru all my settings to turn on 120 fps om 1080 and i didn’t like how it looked so i went back and undid all the changes but now...
  6. Disney+ 4K & YouTube HDR Video Issues

in XboX Insiders
    Disney+ 4K & YouTube HDR Video Issues: Xbox Series X - Alpha OS HDR on YouTube on my Xbox Series X has been broken for some time. Nearly every HDR video has major artifacting such as massively blown out highlights and colour fringing....
  7. Latest Skip Ahead update disabled HDR?

in XboX Insiders
    Latest Skip Ahead update disabled HDR?: Has anyone else had HDR completely disabled on their Xbox after the latest Skip Ahead update? Ive tried switching to different resolutions, making sure Night Mode wasn't on by accident, tried...
  8. I'd like to have hdr work on 1440p monitor if possible

in XBoX on Consoles
    I'd like to have hdr work on 1440p monitor if possible: I have a Series X and I use a gigabyte g32qca with freesync premium pro 165hz 1440p monitor. it can recieve 4k signal and output hdr at 4k signal in 60hz with hdr, or get 1440p at 120hz losing...
  9. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  10. HDR games suddenly very dim after recent system update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    HDR games suddenly very dim after recent system update: I'm sorry if this has been covered, I searched the forums for awhile and didn't quite find a match. I have an Xbox One X and a 65" hisense tv. Everything worked fine up until the most recent...