4K at 60Hz no longer working on Xbox One X, screen artifacting

Discus and support 4K at 60Hz no longer working on Xbox One X, screen artifacting in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Last night I plugged in my Xbox, did a system update and let several games update. In total I was actively using the Xbox for about an hour without... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Psydite, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Psydite
    Psydite Guest

Last night I plugged in my Xbox, did a system update and let several games update. In total I was actively using the Xbox for about an hour without issue, then I continued to let the games update overnight. This afternoon, I woke up the Xbox and checked
    the progress.

Everything was fine for a few minutes, then I started seeing strange horizontal lines across the screen. After a few seconds, colors started glitching out. Then, more and more colors started glitching. Then, the screen would stutter black. Then, the screen
    would go completely black and not wake up.

I was able to "fix" this by forcing the HDMI output to 1.4 instead of 2.0 within my TV's settings. However, this limits the 4K output to 30Hz. Another way I could "fix" it was by lowering the resolution from 4K UHD to 1080p in the "General TV & display options"
    settings menu on the Xbox.

I tried another HDMI cable to see if the cable was the problem. It wasn't. Both cables work fine at 4K 60Hz for my PC and other devices.

I have individually checked/unchecked each of the following options, none of which fixed the issue:

Allow 24Hz, Allow YCC 4:2:2, Allow HDR10, Allow Dolby Vision, Color depth (8-, 10-, and 12-bit)

The problem seems to be the 4K resolution at high framerates (4K while on HDMI 1.4 does not cause issue).

I have had the Xbox One X since December 2018 and it has seen only light use since then. It is kept in a well-ventilated area and has not been physically mishandled. Despite me treating the console well, I believe this is a hardware issue with the Xbox One
    X itself, likely some internal HDMI component and/or the graphics chip dying, but wanted to consult the community and hopefully get a response from an Xbox support employee on this issue as well.

Another reason I believe this is a hardware issue is because it works fine for the first few minutes once powered on after a full power cycle (powered down, cable unplugged, waiting a few minutes). Perhaps a graphics/HDMI component is overheating in this
    time, causing 4K 60Hz to malfunction?

Edit: I should also mention that I have also reset the console to see if that would fix the issue. It did not.

:)

Psydite, Jun 19, 2020
  2. ZenKiller08 Win User

This definitely seems like a hardware issue and it sounds like you've done some troubleshooting already. Since you've had the console for that long and it's most likely out of warranty, you can definitely attempt to change the thermal paste on the unit
    yourself to see if that remedies the issue, however if this is happening when you're just launching a game or sitting on the dashboard then I'm doubting it's a heat related issue.
  3. Sanana94 Win User

? Xbox support 4K?

Some TVs may ask to first enable 4K / HDR on specific outputs, please look into your TV Settings.

The Xbox one X/S cable is 4K ready and works with 60Hz
  4. ROBIN H 25 Win User

Monitor for my Xbox one X

Hello,

Sorry for my language, (google translate).

I'm looking for a monitor for my Xbox one X, ...

My question is, is it worth buying a monitor at more than 60HZ in 4k ???

Does Xbox One x accept more than 60 Hz ???

Thank you for your answers.
    It is worth buying a 4K 144hz monitor for Xbox Series X, However you need to make sure the monitor has HDMI 2.1,

"Does Xbox One X accept more than 60hz ?"

At 4K , No,

Xbox One X uses HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0 bandwidth can only do 4K at 60hz,

HDMI 2.1 of the Xbox Series X will allow it to go to 4K at 120hz, but only if you have a TV or monitor with HDMI 2.1, and a refresh rate of 120hz or higher.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X 4k Display on Monitor?

Hi,

No sorry, that won't work for 4K. The reason being that the adaptor only supports 4K (3840x2160) at 30Hz. Full 4K on the One X and One S requires a 60Hz refresh rate.

If your monitor supports 2560x1440 then this adaptor may work at this resolution for you. I really can't say for sure though. While 2560x1440 is now supported on the Xbox One X, it all depends whether the console picks that up as an option using this cable.
    Otherwise you'll be limited to 1080P (1920x1080).

4K 60Hz support is common for DP to HDMI, but not, as it would seem, the other way round.
  6. ChiefJoboo Win User

Xbox One X 4K pass thru?

The HDMI OUT on the xbox one X is HDMI 2.1 which supports 4k at 60hz and a couple more things.

The HDMI IN is HDMI 1.4 which only supports 1920x1080p at 60hz.

Sorry, this is a hardware limitation.
Thema:

1. 4K at 60Hz no longer working on Xbox One X, screen artifacting - Similar Threads - 60Hz longer working

2. How do I reset my Xbox Series S to 60hz with no eject button?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I reset my Xbox Series S to 60hz with no eject button?: How do I reset my Xbox Series S to 60 hertz, I’ve been looking at other replies but they all say to hold an eject button, but Xbox Series S’ don’t have an eject, they only have power and pair,...
  3. Recommend mode 1920X1080 60hz

in XBoX on Consoles
    Recommend mode 1920X1080 60hz: When i connected to my xbox thats all it’s saying and cant get it to work aeccb572-22e6-4d22-8bf4-dadb58e08a96
  4. My xbox series x is set to 120hz but my monitor only works on 60hz how can i fix it

in XBoX Accessibility
    My xbox series x is set to 120hz but my monitor only works on 60hz how can i fix it: I cant set it back because i camt see the screen pretty self explaining dc891794-c922-43ab-aaa0-7ea5e0ed1111
  5. Is 1440p at 60hz Good Enough for Playing with Xbox Series S?

in XboX Insiders
    Is 1440p at 60hz Good Enough for Playing with Xbox Series S?: Hi So I’ve been looking around at different discussions on Reddit and it looks like you can either play with 1080p at 120hz or 1440p at 60hz on Xbox Series S. My question is if 60hz is good...
  6. Why can my 165 hz moniter only run 60hz on xbox but when the hdmi cable is connected to my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can my 165 hz moniter only run 60hz on xbox but when the hdmi cable is connected to my...: When I connect my hdmi cable to my laptop my mobiter can run the correct hertz but when connected to my xbox I can only run 60 hz they both run 1080p and I have an xbox one...
  7. My tv is 60hz 4k tv but is there a way to make it 120hz?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My tv is 60hz 4k tv but is there a way to make it 120hz?: Hi Is there a way to achieve a 120Hz refresh rate on my Samsung QE50Q80CATXXU 4K TV, which is currently limited to 60Hz? Would adjusting the resolution to 1440p or employing other settings...
  8. Does having my console plugged into a power strip affect latency and 4k gaming at 60hz?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does having my console plugged into a power strip affect latency and 4k gaming at 60hz?: I recently connected my Xbox series s to a power strip along with my tv and I notice that the hazard icon appears telling me that if I have av/or other connection between my television and console...
  9. 144hz monitor capping out at 60hz

in XBoX on Consoles
    144hz monitor capping out at 60hz: Hi I have a Lenovo g24-10 144hz monitor and I have recently bought an Xbox series s to play 120fps on game. However when I set up the Xbox it didn't give me the option to use 120hz. My hdmi port...
  10. Xbox x 60hz no longer option after update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox x 60hz no longer option after update: like the title says after i updated it was no longer an option is that normal? I do have a 4k hdr tv btw. It also supports 120 hz 4e447ffa-f641-4199-bab4-4da25cc78387