360 Slim Powers on, red light flashes 11 times, fan running full speed, then powers down

Discus and support 360 Slim Powers on, red light flashes 11 times, fan running full speed, then powers down in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; If this im the wrong forum let me know. Hey guys, basically as the subject says, my 360 turns on, fan goes full speed instantly, light blinks red 11... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by zmaddawg, Nov 20, 2015.

1. zmaddawg
    zmaddawg Guest

360 Slim Powers on, red light flashes 11 times, fan running full speed, then powers down

If this im the wrong forum let me know. Hey guys, basically as the subject says, my 360 turns on, fan goes full speed instantly, light blinks red 11 times and then powers off. The console wont let me get secondary codes (as ive read about on other forums).
    It is out of warranty... it was working great beforehand, not often played.

:)

zmaddawg, Nov 20, 2015
  2. CrassPUNX
    CrassPUNX Guest
    xbox powering off

I have 360 slim and I believe power adapter is bad. my xbox powers off and power supply has a red light on it. if i unplug and reconnect it's fine for about 10 minutes.

CrassPUNX, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Waaaaa
    Waaaaa Guest
    3 Red Flashing Lights, Power Supply Orange

I tried the power supply on a different outlet in my room and downstairs, but I get the same 3 red flashing lights and power supply light is orange. Is this a power supply problem or is my 360 dead? I've had this 360 for 4-6 years now.

Waaaaa, Nov 20, 2015
  4. M3tal Daz3
    M3tal Daz3 Guest

It seems like a hardware failure, you have to send that console for repairs.

M3tal Daz3, Nov 20, 2015
  5. mb5261
    mb5261 Guest
    I believe it needs a reflow. You have to disassemble the system and heat the processor to a greater temperature than when it over heated. This issue was caused mt the 360 over heating.

mb5261, Apr 4, 2016
  6. M3tal Daz3
    M3tal Daz3 Guest
    @mb5261 Microsoft reserves the right to refuse service for Microsoft Devices that are opened, modified, or tampered with.

M3tal Daz3, Apr 4, 2016
  7. DAZZA 433
    DAZZA 433 Guest
    Hey zmaddawg

Your console has overheated and most likely damaged some of the solder joints on the motherboard.

I know from experience this can be fixed, But it does require some skill/knowledge.

If the warranty is out and you don't want to send it in for repair then there are 2 possible fixes you can try, The first is to open the console up and remove the heatsink, What you then need to do is clean off all the thermal paste from both the heatsink
    and the chipset (a little rubbing alcohol works great)

After you have clean all the old thermal paste off you will need to apply some more, ICE Diamond or even better is the new nano aluminium paste's, Put a small amount on and then carefully apply the heatsink evenly on to the chipset, after reassembly you
    can then see if it worked.

I won't go quite as far as saying the thermal paste used on the consoles is poor quality but i will say that the way some of it looks to have been applied is questionable, If you can see air bubble or areas of the chipset that have no thermal paste applied
    then you know why your console failed.

The 2nd fix is more complicated and requires aluminium foil and a heatgun that can put out over 200 degrees C, For this fix you would need to watch some youtube video guides on reflowing the motherboard, This is something i have performed on 3 consoles and
    it has worked everytime.

DAZZA 433, Apr 5, 2016
  8. Irixion
    Irixion Guest

...Frankly, I'm surprised a member of the Xbox Ambassador Program would endorse violating Microsoft's ToS and EULA.

Replacing thermal paste won't work considering the console doesn't even try to turn itself on. Using aluminium foil and a heatgun to reflow the system can cause more damage. There's a reason reflow workbenches costs thousands of dollars.

tl;dr, save yourself some time and money, and buy yourself a used console somewhere. They're pretty cheap now anyway.

Irixion, Apr 6, 2016
  9. GeNic StabZ
    GeNic StabZ Guest
    did you get this problem fixed as mine has the same problem

GeNic StabZ, Oct 31, 2018
  10. GeNic StabZ Win User

did you get this problem fixed as mine has the same problem
  11. Irixion Win User

...Frankly, I'm surprised a member of the Xbox Ambassador Program would endorse violating Microsoft's ToS and EULA.

Replacing thermal paste won't work considering the console doesn't even try to turn itself on. Using aluminium foil and a heatgun to reflow the system can cause more damage. There's a reason reflow workbenches costs thousands of dollars.

tl;dr, save yourself some time and money, and buy yourself a used console somewhere. They're pretty cheap now anyway.
  12. M3tal Daz3 Win User

@mb5261 Microsoft reserves the right to refuse service for Microsoft Devices that are opened, modified, or tampered with.
  13. M3tal Daz3 Win User

It seems like a hardware failure, you have to send that console for repairs.
  14. DAZZA 433 Win User

Hey zmaddawg

Your console has overheated and most likely damaged some of the solder joints on the motherboard.

I know from experience this can be fixed, But it does require some skill/knowledge.

If the warranty is out and you don't want to send it in for repair then there are 2 possible fixes you can try, The first is to open the console up and remove the heatsink, What you then need to do is clean off all the thermal paste from both the heatsink
    and the chipset (a little rubbing alcohol works great)

After you have clean all the old thermal paste off you will need to apply some more, ICE Diamond or even better is the new nano aluminium paste's, Put a small amount on and then carefully apply the heatsink evenly on to the chipset, after reassembly you
    can then see if it worked.

I won't go quite as far as saying the thermal paste used on the consoles is poor quality but i will say that the way some of it looks to have been applied is questionable, If you can see air bubble or areas of the chipset that have no thermal paste applied
    then you know why your console failed.

The 2nd fix is more complicated and requires aluminium foil and a heatgun that can put out over 200 degrees C, For this fix you would need to watch some youtube video guides on reflowing the motherboard, This is something i have performed on 3 consoles and
    it has worked everytime.
Thema:

1. 360 Slim Powers on, red light flashes 11 times, fan running full speed, then powers down - Similar Threads - 360 Slim Powers

2. Can I use a 9.6A power supply with a 10.83A 360 Slim ?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I use a 9.6A power supply with a 10.83A 360 Slim ?: Some 360 Slims are rated 9.6A and some are rated 10.83A. Can I use a 9.6A power supply with a 10.83A 360 Slim ? 349a58e8-cbf9-49e7-b0e8-00c144d610bf
  3. Where to find a new official MS brand 360 Slim Power Supply?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Where to find a new official MS brand 360 Slim Power Supply?: Anybody know where I could order an official MS brand 360 Slim Power Supply brick? Mine has been starting to make a lot of noise lately. I keep it (and all my other electronics) sprayed out once a...
  4. Xbox 360 Slim not turning on but it makes eject/power button sound

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim not turning on but it makes eject/power button sound: Hello, I recently bought an Xbox 360 Slim from a thrift store, when I plugged it in, the power button and eject button would make a sound, but it wouldn't turn on. I've checked the USB ports, the...
  5. xbox 360 e slim not turning on but power supply is orange

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox 360 e slim not turning on but power supply is orange: Hello, II use my console occasionally, a few times a year. I tried to turn it on today but it won't turn on anymore, but the power supply is orange. I've tried different power outlet in my house...
  6. Xbox 360 Slim not turning on but it makes eject/power button sound

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox 360 Slim not turning on but it makes eject/power button sound: Hello, I recently bought an Xbox 360 Slim from a thrift store, when I plugged it in, the power button and eject button would make a sound, but it wouldn't turn on. I've checked the USB ports, the...
  7. xbox 360 e slim not turning on but power supply is orange

in XBoX on Windows
    xbox 360 e slim not turning on but power supply is orange: Hello, so I've not used this Xbox for a very long time maybe around 6-8 months, and then I wanted to play again, so I take it out of the box and when I push the power button it didn't work, but...
  8. Power supply issues Xbox 360 slim

in XBoX on Consoles
    Power supply issues Xbox 360 slim: I've gone through 3 power supply bricks in the last year on my Xbox 360 slim and was wondering if maybe I'm just buying faulty power supply bricks or if maybe there's something wrong with the...
  9. Xbox 360 Slim Power Brick Turning Red -Is it the console, the power brick, or the voltage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim Power Brick Turning Red -Is it the console, the power brick, or the voltage?: Hi, I'm pretty new to the community. This is my first post. I have an Xbox 360 Slim and had received it through a friend. I'm not sure how old it is, but it can still power on and play games no...
  10. Je cherche un bloc d'alimentation pour xbox 360 slim d'origine[I'm looking for a power...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Je cherche un bloc d'alimentation pour xbox 360 slim d'origine[I'm looking for a power...: Bonjour je cherche un bloc d'alimentation pour xbox 360 slim d'origine. Ou je pourrais en avoir?J'ai regarder sur le web mais beaucoup vendent la version compatible et bruyante. Merci....