360 Slim 250GB making weird grinding noise at startup

Discus and support 360 Slim 250GB making weird grinding noise at startup in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Good day to all of you. For the last couple of months, my 360 slim that I've had for about four and a half years have been making this really loud... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by GabZonY, Aug 27, 2014.

1. GabZonY
    GabZonY Guest

Good day to all of you.

For the last couple of months, my 360 slim that I've had for about four and a half years have been making this really loud grinding noise at startup, and sometimes it goes into overdrive and the noise gets even worse. Usually the noise goes away if I restart
    the console a couple of times, but always comes back after turning it on when it hasn't been on for a couple of hours. When it first started it was a very silent noise that went away after the console had been on for a couple of minutes, but now it has gotten
    way worse and it doesn't go away at all.

No blinking lights or anything are shown, and the console works perfectly fine other than the noise. I have it laying down on its side and always have, and the noise happens regardless if there's a disc in the tray or not.

I suspect there's something wrong with the fans, but I'm not sure what to do about it. Help?

:)

GabZonY, Aug 27, 2014
  2. SirStephenH
    SirStephenH Guest
    Xbox 360 (Slim) Making a Grinding noise

I wouldn't try any fixes myself if I were you. These self fixes are normally only temporary and can cause more damage to the console and/or violate Microsoft's Terms of Use in which case you wouldn't be able to send it off to Microsoft for repairs.

It will cost you only $79 to get it repaired and you can set it up here.

SirStephenH, Aug 27, 2014
  3. Wolfchop101
    Wolfchop101 Guest

I played last night till 10:00 pm and was fine. to day my brother gets on and it grinds.

Wolfchop101, Aug 27, 2014
  4. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest

The slim has a single fan mounted directly to a heat sink for the CPU/GPU die. The fan, disc drive, and HDD are the only moving parts in the console. Does the noise continue if the disc tray is open? It probably is the fan, but your opening the console to
    service it invalidates the warranty (which is long gone now anyway) but more importantly xbox won't service it if the console has been disassembled.

This isn't uncommon with small DC fan motors. My laptop did it for years until the fan stopped altogether. Physically hitting the case would make it stop for awhile. Not that I'm suggesting you do that.. If I were you, I would submit a repair request online.
    It's $79 if you do it over the internet or $99 if you call and arrange it. See:
    myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx

Mmm Anarchy, Aug 27, 2014
  5. GabZonY
    GabZonY Guest
    No, the noise does not stop if the disc tray is open. Thank you for your answer.

GabZonY, Aug 31, 2014
  6. Mmm Anarchy
    Mmm Anarchy Guest
    Almost certainly the fan in that case. HDDs don't make noise until they're moments from failing and knowing how finicky the xbox os is about drive integrity, it would probably fail to start anyway.

If it's any consolation it may go a very long time before it fails altogether.

Mmm Anarchy, Oct 31, 2018
  7. GabZonY Win User

No, the noise does not stop if the disc tray is open. Thank you for your answer.
  8. Mmm Anarchy Win User

Almost certainly the fan in that case. HDDs don't make noise until they're moments from failing and knowing how finicky the xbox os is about drive integrity, it would probably fail to start anyway.

If it's any consolation it may go a very long time before it fails altogether.
  9. Mmm Anarchy Win User

The slim has a single fan mounted directly to a heat sink for the CPU/GPU die. The fan, disc drive, and HDD are the only moving parts in the console. Does the noise continue if the disc tray is open? It probably is the fan, but your opening the console to
    service it invalidates the warranty (which is long gone now anyway) but more importantly xbox won't service it if the console has been disassembled.

This isn't uncommon with small DC fan motors. My laptop did it for years until the fan stopped altogether. Physically hitting the case would make it stop for awhile. Not that I'm suggesting you do that.. If I were you, I would submit a repair request online.
    It's $79 if you do it over the internet or $99 if you call and arrange it. See:
    myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx
  10. SirStephenH Win User

I wouldn't try any fixes myself if I were you. These self fixes are normally only temporary and can cause more damage to the console and/or violate Microsoft's Terms of Use in which case you wouldn't be able to send it off to Microsoft for repairs.

It will cost you only $79 to get it repaired and you can set it up here.
  11. Wolfchop101 Win User

I played last night till 10:00 pm and was fine. to day my brother gets on and it grinds.
Thema:

1. 360 Slim 250GB making weird grinding noise at startup - Similar Threads - 360 Slim 250GB

2. I can't get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim: Can someone reach out to me as I have been trying to connect my Xbox Live Account to my Xbox via the Xbox mobile app however i cannot get the 10 digit code for my Xbox 360 250GB Slim version....
  3. xbox 360 slim 250GB wont play backward compatible xbox games (need for speed underground 2,...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox 360 slim 250GB wont play backward compatible xbox games (need for speed underground 2,...: when either are inserted it shows original xbox logo for a second then this message: [img] i bought this xbox second hand last year, and havent touched the hard drive so im assuming they...
  4. Problem with router password that has special characters. Xbox 360 (slim, 250gb, internal ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Problem with router password that has special characters. Xbox 360 (slim, 250gb, internal ...: Hey guys, my son is having a problem connecting to my WiFi router because (he says) that the xbox 360 will NOT recognize special charactersin a password. This seems to me to be a strange mistake...
  5. XBOX 360 Slim 250Gb - Will I be banned if I replace HD?

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 Slim 250Gb - Will I be banned if I replace HD?: Hello! I need an official answer because I'm really confused, I googled, I read a lot and asked to every one... I've an XBOX 360 3 or 4 years old, it's perfect but I need to change the HD because...
  6. Xbox 360 Slim 250GB has a red dot and won't turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim 250GB has a red dot and won't turn on: hi, So I accidentally spilled a drink on my xbox 360 slim. So at first the system fans shut off and the video stopped displaying. Then the power button turned red and stayed red. So I let the...
  7. Bought Xbox 360 Slim 250gb Second Hand, Has Family Settings On, With 4-digit Pass Code, ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bought Xbox 360 Slim 250gb Second Hand, Has Family Settings On, With 4-digit Pass Code, ...: Hey there, I don't really know where to post this kind of question to forums, as I've never posted here before. But basically I bought a xbox 360 slim 250gb console second-hand, and it has family...
  8. Xbox 360 Slim 250GB Matt Black Model Signal Problem PLEASE HELP!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim 250GB Matt Black Model Signal Problem PLEASE HELP!!: Hey Everyone, Having a problem where my Xbox when I turn it on it dose not give signal through HDMI to my television. What I done, I was watching a DVD this morning so I turned on my Xbox it...
  9. Xbox 360 slim 250gb hard drive won't format

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim 250gb hard drive won't format: Hello, Recently the 250 gb hard drive for my slim console got the E68 error code and failed on me. I ordered a used microsoft 250gb hard drive (same as the original) and it arrived a couple days...
  10. How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim?: How do I tell if I have a legit MS 250GB HD in the 360 Slim? I bought a 360 Slim off craigslist a while back and saw the hard drive inserted with an end piece missing. The hard drive is visible...