360 disc tray won't open when upright

Discus and support 360 disc tray won't open when upright in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I got on old original style 360 from my brother but the disc tray doesn't want to open when I stand it up on end. When I lay it flat it opens fine... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by K0rN b4LL, Jan 21, 2017.

1. K0rN b4LL
    K0rN b4LL Guest

I got on old original style 360 from my brother but the disc tray doesn't want to open when I stand it up on end. When I lay it flat it opens fine but I really wanna stand it upright so it fits into my setup better. Anything I can do to fix the disc
    tray?

:)

K0rN b4LL, Jan 21, 2017
  2. Stray2615
    Stray2615 Guest
    Scorpio Edition: Use stand or lay horizontal?

I don't trust putting anything with a disc upright after 360 tray got badly jammed and the repair agent advised me having it upright doesn't help, so flat for me

Stray2615, Jan 21, 2017
  3. heatherawwr
    heatherawwr Guest
    Stuck Disc Tray fix for vertical original XBox 360!

i just had the stuck disc tray problem with my original white xbox 360 a few minutes ago.

i your xbox is standing UPRIGHT, and it wont open. turn the console off, turn it on its side, and it should open! i experimented with it, by turning it off again and putting it upright again, and it wont open, then putting it back on its side and opening/closing
    it multiple times.

hope this helps someone!

heather.v

heatherawwr, Jan 21, 2017
  4. THTZWHTSH3SA1D Win User

Flat or Upright.

always lay it flat. even if you just tap it when it's standing upright the disc can pop out of the tray and get scratched.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Disc drive won't always open

That is pretty much how it works. When the Disc is in the drive and being accessed, it's not sitting on the tray. If was sitting on the tray it would make a terrific noise would get scratched and wouldn't be being read anyway. It opens easier when there
    is a disc in the tray due to the way the mechanism works in the drive. When there is no disc, I would assume the opening mechanism works differently.

Regardless of how it works, the drive has developed a fault, a pretty common one too. My spare Xbox 360 also has a similar issue, although sometimes the drive won't open even when there is a disc in there. On the spare machine I have solved the problem for
    the moment by always keeping a disc in the machine. There is no risk to leaving your game in the drive.

If the issue gets worse, the only thing to do is send the machine for a repair.
  6. Lord Rendon Win User

why will my xbox 360 disc drive open when sideway's but will not open when upright

Thank you for the information however it does not anwser my question very well. What I wanted to know was the cause for the xbox 360 disc drive getting stuck when opened upright but not sideways and a explanation for why a disc prevents the disc drive form getting stuck.
  7. Killswitch51880 Win User

rapid green power button on my xbox slim

It flashes rapidly when the disc door opens or closes, since it won't open or close... I'd say you have a tray issue. Unfortunately, since you opened it, if there was a warranty, you just voided it.
  8. Barl0w 1995 Win User

is my xbox 360 dying?

oh yeah, forgot to add, my disc tray is also having a problem sometimes where when i try opening the disc tray, the power button flashes as normal but the disc tray doesn't open. it opens after the 2nd time trying.
Thema:

1. 360 disc tray won't open when upright - Similar Threads - 360 disc tray

2. Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox 360 starts reading disc then says open tray , why can't the 360 read disc?: My Xbox 360 when I load disc it starts reading then says open tray, why won't the 360 read any disc? e28561b2-8542-43d3-8a7e-44455af5b8bd
  3. Xbox 360 disc tray noise.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 disc tray noise.: Problem: 1. Xbox makes a grinding noise after closing the tray. This noise is created whether or not a disc is in the tray. It last for 1-2 seconds. 2. “Open tray” is displayed on the screen...
  4. XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error)

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX 360 disc drive laser (open tray error): My xbox 360's disc drive laser seems to barely be moving even with all the fixes i tried. It first moves close to the center of the disc then stays there and moves just ever so slightly. The disc...
  5. Original Xbox 360 Turns itself on, opens and closes disc tray

in XBoX on Consoles
    Original Xbox 360 Turns itself on, opens and closes disc tray: OK so I've had this xbox 360 from brand new, never had an issue, 2 years ago I moved into a semi detached bungalow, my controller got broken in the move so I haven't even played on it but it's...
  6. Xbox 360 Disc Tray and Reading Disc Problems

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Disc Tray and Reading Disc Problems: I haven't played my Xbox 360 Pro in a couple of years but the other day I decided to boot it up. It starts fine, everything works. I've updated the system and the whole nine yards but my disc tray...
  7. Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully: Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been opening fully for 2 months ae4b92dc-8511-4def-ab20-ccf1a5056656
  8. Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully: Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been opening fully for 2 months 125e14da-8e31-4cce-b12b-775f761554f2
  9. Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been ...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been ...: Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been opening fully for 2 months 871a26ff-7e1f-4709-b01d-c0da5e5bda71
  10. Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully.: Xbox 360 S disc tray automatically won't close fully. Is there a way to fix it? It has been opening fully for 2 months d9fe5a93-77cf-41a0-b103-6a0b9e1404f4